Saturday, September 4, 2010

Heart Rate Monitor woes

Seems like I am not the only one with bizarre spikes in HRM stats. I have seen 2 different types of spikes. I almost always have high reading at the beginning of any run (even if I am going down hill) and second a weird spike that occurs occasionally, throwing a result that would probably see me having a heart attack.

In summary, here are the explanations:
  • It's a well-known false spike and isn't real 
  • Caused by loose fitting shirts (static)
  • Not moist enough (Seems unlikely given it is high not low) 
  • Power Lines crossing the path
  • It is a physiological change that occurs when starting the run 
Seems I am just going to ignore the issue. But then I think, well why bother with the tool if I know it is flawed?

No comments:

Post a Comment