Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Yet more lessons learnt that I will probably forget



It has taken a while to write something about the Trail du Georgeant -
Ceignes -. It took place just two weeks after Marc passed away.

The course itself was 16km or so of all runnable trail. With 550m of
elevation gain, it was just what I like. Plus it was being run in the
afternoon fantastic. But no, on the day things went wrong. I was doing
OK until about 7.5km. I was hanging on going up the hills and cruising
on the down hills.

But then I developed abdominal pains. At 7.5km there is no point
stopping as I have as far to go forward as backward. I had to slow right
down climbing. It felt like trapped wind.

By 12km I had to walk the uphill and the run was effectively over. At
about this time the second place girl went past and told me to hang on. It
was not until later that I realized it was the same girl who I had
encourage while passing several weeks before. Now the tables where turned.

I don't know what went wrong. It was hot and I had not been running in
the heat for a few weeks. I had had a sport drink beforehand, this is
something I never normally do and finally I was carrying water,
something else I do not normally do.

...Yet more lessons learnt that I will probably forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment