Saturday, February 19, 2011

Straining at stool

The rest of the (US) trail running world seems to be analyzing how best to optimize performance. Positive splits verses negative v's  consistency. I too have been busy trying to optimize. My problem is 2 weeks with Diverticulitis plus a hospital stay, leaving me weak, Joanne who has flue and the rest of the family needing attention.

Well, the question on my mind is how far do I need to run for the medicinal effects of running to take hold. From past experiences this is about 3 to 5 km. Today I had 20 minutes so I guess I was somewhere in that range. And as it is not very far, my overall poor shape could handle it. (The Garmin had lost charge so don't have any stats on my performance)

I came back and managed not to "Strain at stool" but did lose some weight! (by the way, that is still hovering underneath 80kg).

A long time ago, 20 years ago or more, I read that there was quite a large percentage of older people who die while "Straining at stool" and I found the phrase quite amusing - It stuck with me and now I live to regret finding fun in a phrase that clearly isn't..... But I can't help but smile while writing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment