Thursday, April 21, 2011

Double Bummer

(Thanks for the title Karl) In a few hours here I am on my way to the first surgery I have ever had (Not including having my arm reset after dislocating my elbow (14 years old), a little bit of keyhole stuff on my knee and having 4 teeth taken out when I was 10 - to make space)

This week I have taken it easy and trained like I was going in for a big race - i.e. a taper, well, actually no running at all but eating like a taper. A couple of weeks ago before the last abscess growing phase, I managed some pretty respectable times, so I will be able to see just how much fitness I will lose over the coming weeks or months.

The surgeon has suggested a 90% chance of success. This sounds like pretty good odds, but I can't help thinking that this still a 10% chance of failure and those odds I do not like so much. Failure means the Double Bummer.

One good outcome is I am back on the hospital diet from tomorrow (for at least 48 hours) and that is no food or drink. So again I should not only lose some weight due to lost body parts, but also just some general weight loss. - I expect this will be muscle as I will also be flat on my back for a while or at the very least confined to my prison cell.

My last stay in hospital I had to share my cell with another inmate. He was shocked when I described staying in hospital as like being in prison. He was in for some gall stone removal do you get the idea they type of ward I am on?

No comments:

Post a Comment