Sunday, February 19, 2012

Grand Fond Bresson (1/2 Marathon)

 
I had a ham sandwich on Friday night, not the best pre-run feeding and was still cutting tiles with an angle grinder an hour before the race on Saturday afternoon. (Lots of dust that I coughed up during the outing). I had had breakfast and then lunched on some ham and broccoli before rushing out the house to enter the race. Coincidently I had to raid Joanne's money box for the E14 entrance fee.

Having not run more than 10km since the Marathon in July I was not expecting any great time. I was more concerned about just finishing. It was lucky I was not expecting a great time as I did not get one.  The results are not in yet, but I did have 1:42 on my watch. The course was quite hilly (for a road race) at 280m gain.

I pretty much stopped at each feeding station, drank and eat sugar. And I discovered that eating ginger cake during a run is a really bad mistake. It gets stuck in the gums and almost completely blocks your air passage. On the plus  side, I did enjoy the run. (sort of) It was sunny and I chatted with a couple of other guys on the way round. I did not enjoy the blister that started to appear at about the 12 kilometre. I kept shifting my weight so that it would not grow too quickly.

All in all, quite happy with finishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment