Sunday, September 16, 2012

Coca Cola to the rescue


There where two possible trails from Belley today, a 28km and a 16km. Both with some elevation, finally on the drive over there I decided to do the 16km. - I never had any water bottles and in any case 16km is more my thing.

When I arrived I signed up for the 16km and proceeded to watch the depart of the 28km and (16km Walk). After they had left the stadium it struck me there where allot of people remaining with little back packs on. A little unnecessary for a 16km run, so I asked somebody for confirmation that we where about to line up. He chucked and said, "you need to get moving, that was your race"... Ooops. The girls at the sign up chucked when I asked if I could swap courses with just 5 minutes to go.  They explained kindly that it was nearly double the distance.

At the start, I was very nervous, I was about the only person not carrying water. The first aid station being 11km into the race, I figured I could get that far and then see what happened. Ah well, in for a penny. I just set of very cautiously. In fact all way round I took it slow, "I will speed up after half way" ..... "I will put a spurt on with 10k left"..... "Will wait until the last hill at 5km" As it turns out I had nothing in the tank at the end to a make any kind of surge.



The course was fantastic, lots of variation all based on a limestone theme. From Jeep tracks to steep paths trough caves and dried river beds. There where limestone pavements and lake passes.  I am glad I ended up doing the 28km, it was tough but I got to the end with the help of 6 glasses of Coca-Cola the aid stations.

The last 6 or 7km we joined up with the walkers. This was both a blessing and a problem. It was nice we where wished "Bon Courage" but at the same time, even though I wanted to walk I didn't want to do it after I had just been cheered on.

The two Girls (aged 60+) who switched my course greeted me at the end, they had been watching on the way round, they where happy I had managed to get round.



On the way back, I did an internal check. I seemed a bit tired but otherwise no real problems. Until I checked my calves.... Umm a knot, quite painful. Then I realized it was a bruise from the day before. My mother-in-law had left a trap. I sat on a chair and it collapsed causing me to fall in a heap on the floor.

Results: A long time, 2:47 (although less than the 3hours I thought it would take) 14th V1 and 40th overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment