There was terrible weather for the unofficial Morzine Monsta. At the top of the col, the temperature was 3 degrees, poor visibility and driving rain. Lovely.
In the cycling I did get to the top OK in 3rd position after about 700m vertical gain (the eventual top two overall places where of course in front of me ) I then descended like a baby girl - can I blame that on unfamiliar equipment? (People who where 10 minutes behind on the climb overtook me!) The support crew made coffee and tea to get us all warmed up before throwing us out again for the run. I think this transition must have taken about 30 minutes!
Another baby girl moment came in the swim where I did 5 meters then promptly jumped back out. Gareth came in first in that event as well as overall. I am not sure if it was the cold or the Mankini's supported by a few swimmers that put me off.
Lee, supporting a hangover never really got into the groove (he did come in 4th all the same). Although that being said, when everybody else was freezing their pants off on the decent (3 degrees and rain) he took the unusual step of transforming a bin liner into foot warmers. Showing his faculties where still functioning while others where flapping around like wet fish. I think I had a touch of hypothermia. I had to slow down on the decent not to be so cold. It was the first time I needed to apply the breaks and peddle just to keep my legs moving!
Gareth surprised everybody (including himself I think) on the run coming in a very creditable 3rd and running all of it. I came in 1st in a terrible time, but after the effort of the cycling I suppose it is OK.
Time: 30:41
Distance: 5.63 km
Elevation Gain: 211 m
Monday, August 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment